Sunday, July 22, 2012

One week of patching and Thomas is just now beginning to complain about it (I don't wanna patch mommy")...bless his heart. We are using the sticky patches because he will peek through the others. Thomas complains when taking them off and I can see a little irritation on his skin. We are going to have to work on taking them off a little slower...hard to do with an active little guy but so far so good.

It is clear that Thomas cannot see out of his left eye unless he is wearing his glasses. He does have vision when wearing his glasses which gives me a lot of hope. I am looking forward to his ophthalmologist appointment next month to see what she can see and to move forward with his treatment. His appointment is on my birthday so I think that warrants a trip to the "Chocolate Bar"!

5 comments:

  1. oh honey - sorry about the irritation.Maybe put some vaseline on as you pull? Hope you will invite me to the chocolate bar and I'll be in town

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce...would love for you to join us at the Chocolate Bar! Hopefully Ashley and Nic can come too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary hated the patch too but she got used to it to the point she'd forget she had it on. She is without glasses right now (lost, ugh) and she's struggling, but with them she does great. Hang in there Momma! You're a rock star!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I stublmed across your blog and found it so easy to relate to. My daughter has exotropia and has patched, wears glasses and has even had to have surgery. I enjoyed reading it, I just recently started blogging my experiences with it, just in case you want to check it out here it is: http://isasmom83.blogspot.com/

    By the way you are doing a wonderful job with Thomas!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel, just found your blog via Amblyopia Kids. I have no idea what it is like to have a 4 year old wearing a patch, but I just wanted to drop a note of encouragement. Our son has been patching since he was around 2 months old (he's 7 months old now) and it is so much easier now than when we started. If he needs to use the adhesive patches, we were given a great tip to put a little milk of magnesia around his eye, let it dry, and then put the patch on. It sounded crazy to me at first, but it helps create a barrier between the patch and his skin. You're doing a great thing for him! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete