Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Today I experienced a little "twist" in my heart...we have started homeschooling Thomas and he started writing today. Yesterday we had a practice run at the writing thing and it was made clear that Thomas needs his good eye when he writes.

Sooo...no more patching first thing in the morning as we homeschool right after breakfast. I told Thomas last night that he would be wearing his patch when we went to church this morning for a meeting and out running errands. Note that we have never made a big deal about patching (he gets a prize from the "patch prize" box each day). Thomas said "no mommy...I don't want to patch when we go out, that would be silly, people don't want to see my patch."

It just broke my heart...thankfully just a few people at church saw him (he was wearing his very cool "hero" patch) and no one said a word. I was so thankful. It just made me sad that he was self conscious about it since we had never made a big deal of the patching.

I am anxiously waiting for the 20th when we will go back to our ophthalmologist for a check-up...please be praying for a great report!

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear Rachel - breaks my heart too. I told you about my nephew and he recently told me that he felt that way too when he was a little guy. He has grown up to be a kind, sweet, gentle man who teaches his children to always be kind to others and perhaps it is because of his patch. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, I also went through those instances. I decided to do a post on it today and what our experience was. Hope it brings some comfort to know that you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete